Homeward Bound is an award-winning comprehensive 4-year program that helps precariously housed single mothers achieve lasting economic self-sufficiency.
Homeward Bound Peterborough is a holistic, wrap-around program that empowers precariously housed, single mothers to achieve lasting economic self-sufficiency. Homeward Bound opens doors and removes barriers to create a pathway to independence and family security. There are a variety of circumstances that bring women to Homeward Bound- one thing unites them – HOPE – for a better life for themselves and their children.
Homeward Bound provides the following supports and services for its participants:
- Affordable Furnished Housing
- Supports to complete a 2-Year College Diploma
- Goal-Oriented Case Management
- On-Site Childcare
- Access to Parenting, Individual and Family Counselling
- 14 Week Unpaid Internships
- Access to Sustainable Employment opportunities through our Industry partners
Want to learn more? Check out our program brochure.
Who Do We Help?
We help single mothers (19+) with multiple barriers such as unstable housing, a precarious financial situation, and limited or no access to education, childcare, and sustainable employment.
- Single mother (19+) and not currently living in a domestic partnership.
- Custody of at least one child under the age of 17.
- Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or convention refugee.
- Resides in Peterborough City or County.
- History of living in poverty and/or at risk of housing insecurity or homelessness.
- Addiction-free for at least one year.
- No Current Criminal proceedings.
- OSSD, equivalent, or 1-2 credits away from diploma.
- No unresolved OSAP debt.
- Recipient of or eligible for OW Benefits
- Recipient of or eligible for Employment Insurance
- Recipient of or eligible for OSAP
- Able to participate in a full-time program
How to Apply
We accept applications on a rolling basis, and you may be applying for the program before a spot is available. Please read through the materials found on this site and decide if this program is right for you. If you think you’re a good fit, please complete an application and submit to our Homeward Bound Administrative Assistant.
The Industry Council provides guidance, support and resources to the program and its participants regarding training, internships, and employment opportunities. This includes providing or securing a 14-week internship for women in the program once they have completed their college diploma. Industry Council members are also expected to provide participants with feedback and share employment opportunities as they become available.
Industry Council Partners:
- Compass Early Learning and Care
- Employment Planning Council
- Fleming College School of Trades and Technology
- Peterborough Chamber of Commerce
- Peterborough Economic Development
- Peterborough Utilities Group
- Siemens Canada
- Workforce Development Board
How to get involved
Homeward Bound Peterborough is a community collaborative. PHC delivers this life-changing program through an extensive network of community partnerships.
Financial collaborators have included: Community Foundation of Greater Peterborough, Rotary Club of Peterborough, United Way of Peterborough & District, Trinity United Church, and numerous individual donors and service clubs.
City of Peterborough Social Services Staff has been essential advisors and supporters to the program and its participants. Fleming College has been an important partner in the preparation and ongoing assistance of our participants to help ensure their academic success. The PHC Homeward Bound Campus also leases space to a flagship early learning centre overseen by Compass Early Learning. This centre is based on cutting-edge early learning theory and will provide daycare services to the eight mother-led families involved in Homeward Bound Peterborough.
The Homeward Bound Program does not receive ongoing government funding. Program costs are supported through generous contributions from donors. If you have more questions about how to support the program or donate to Homeward Bound Peterborough, contact the Assistant Director Strategic Partnerships.